Thursday, October 10, 2013

Creamy Vegetable Chowder

I love making soup! I don't know why. There was a time a few years ago when I had never made homemade soup. I remember being on the committee for Super Saturday, this craft-a-palooza thing for the women at church. I wasn't really even supposed to be there because I was the compassionate service person but somehow that was sort of part of the enrichment committee so the relief society counselor asked me to come, saying I could just help out a little, I didn't really need to do much. Okay, so I came. The woman in charge was young and super high strung. They discussed everyone's responsibilities and then got to the plans for the lunch that would be served. She looked at me and said, Do you want to be in charge of the lunch? It's a really big job! Nothing was more convincing to me, a person who did not relish being in charge of anything for a large group of people, than being asked by this perpetually manic woman if I wanted the job, immediately being followed by it's a big job. There's also this thing at church where every woman is sort of expected to know how to be an event planner. As I wasn't raised in the church I never quite caught on to this concept. Another woman saw the look of terror in my eyes and took mercy on me by volunteering to do the job. I was going to be her helper. I would have had the good sense to be humiliated by the whole situation but as I was just so relieved, it didn't occur to me. I don't know where this is going exactly but the lunch was all about soup. I helped out with any responsibilities the woman in charge would pass my way but I didn't bring a crock pot full of soup because, a) I don't have a crock pot and b) I didn't make homemade soup. But now I do! I love making homemade soup now, especially on a cold autumn day like today.
I'm in the middle of making this and I'm not sure it's going to turn out good or not. I've made this recipe before, actually I did a cooking class with my daughter and her friends a few years back and we made this soup. It was really good but I want to make it healthier so I replaced the chicken broth with veggie broth (I don't know if that is really healthier but it keeps it vegetarian). Then I added white beans for protein and a sweet potato for more nutrition. Okay, I just sampled it. It's pretty good.

Creamy Vegetable Soup
1 1/2 cups dry white beans, sorted, rinsed, cooked
1 small clove garlic, chopped (or use garlic powder of a commensurate amount)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped carrots
2 tbs smart balance spread ( or oil of your choice, or leave it all out if you want)
5 small- medium potatoes, cut into small pieces
1 small sweet potato, shredded (I used the kind that looks more white not orange, the orange kind may be a yam, I'll never get that straight)
1 cup frozen corn
3 cups skim milk
4 cups vegetable broth (again, I used the Rapunzel granules, 1 heaping tbs mixed with 4 cups water)
2 tbs cornstarch, mixed in part of the cold milk
3 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Saute the garlic, onion, carrots and celery in Smart Balance spread. Add everything else, bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for about 1 hour or until you think it's done.










No comments:

Post a Comment